Thursday, September 2, 2010

Out of the Mouths of Babes Come the Darndest Things



There's an idiom that says: "Out of the mouths of babes come the darndest things."

Here's an example from today:

Tonight I was standing in a checkout line at a book store and couldn't help overhearing a conversation between man and his young son standing behind me. The boy looked to be about 5 years of age, and he was about to purchase a comic book. The conversation went something like this:

Dad: "OK Son, we have the money from your piggy bank and now we have to wait in line to pay. Do you know how much money we need?"

Son: "No"

Dad: (holds up the comic book and points to the price tag)

Son: "Two ninety nine."

Dad: "That's right. Two dollars and ninety nine cents. But that's not all - on top of the two ninety nine there's also tax. Do you know what tax is?"

Son: (silence)

Dad: "Tax is an extra 13 percent you have to pay."

Son: (more silence)

Dad: "Here, let me show you." (whips out his Blackberry and starts tapping keys) "Here's two ninety nine, and we times it by one point one three and we get three thirty eight. That means you have to get three dollars and thirty eight cents from your piggy bank to pay to the young man at the front."

Son: (gasps) "Are you CRAZY?"

I had to clench my teeth, set my jaw and stare straight ahead.
Even then I was smirking and trembling because I could barely contain my laughter.

Five years old and this kid was already figuring out that his piggy bank was getting raided by the tax man.

I was doubled over laughing as soon as I left the store.

No comments:

Post a Comment